This video will show you why Romania is a wonderful and inventive country. Yes, it was sponsored by some beer companies, but it’s very nicely put together, and the things it talks about are all true.
The subjects presented in the video are listed below in the order of appearance:
- The invention of the fountain pen, by Petrache Poenaru
- The invention of the cybernetic model, by Stefan Odobleja
- Insulin, invented by Nicolae Paulescu
- The first jet-powered aircraft, invented by Henri Coanda
- The first History of Religions, written by Mircea Eliade
- Defending four penalty strokes in a row – done by Helmut Ducadam, in the soccer World Cup of 1986
- The second most spoken language at Microsoft is Romanian
- The Maramures Gates – some of the most beautifully sculpted wooden gates in the world
- Romanian girls are some of the most beautiful in the world – I should know, I married one!
- The sculpture of Constantin Brancusi
- Brancovenean Architecture
- Baseball (its grandfather, anyway – the sport got started all the way back in 1364)
In case you’d like to learn more about Romania, ICI.ro has a great collection of illustrious Romanians right here. Use the link menu on the right hand side to brows by subjects like Geography, History, Politics, Culture and Tourism.