The medieval church in Viișoara

Not much is known about the small medieval church in this Transylvanian village. Known in Romanian as Viișoara, it is Hundorf in German and Csatófalva in Hungarian. The clue about it not being fortified perhaps lies in its German name: "Hun-dorf" means "Hungarian village". Since it was predominantly Hungarian with few Saxons, and it was the … Continue reading The medieval church in Viișoara

The Armenian Catholic Church in Dumbraveni

Dumbrăveni ((before 1945 "Ibașfalău"; German: "Elisabethstadt"; Saxon dialect: "Eppeschdorf"; Hungarian: "Erzsébetváros") is an historically significant town in Transilvania. Archaeological digs revealed proof that it was an inhabited place as early as the Paleolithic. We fast-forward through history to come to the time of the Hungarian colonization/occupation of Transilvania, when in 1214, it became part of … Continue reading The Armenian Catholic Church in Dumbraveni