The medieval church in Viișoara

Not much is known about the small medieval church in this Transylvanian village. Known in Romanian as Viișoara, it is Hundorf in German and Csatófalva in Hungarian. The clue about it not being fortified perhaps lies in its German name: "Hun-dorf" means "Hungarian village". Since it was predominantly Hungarian with few Saxons, and it was the … Continue reading The medieval church in Viișoara

The Armenian Catholic Church in Dumbraveni

Dumbrăveni ((before 1945 "Ibașfalău"; German: "Elisabethstadt"; Saxon dialect: "Eppeschdorf"; Hungarian: "Erzsébetváros") is an historically significant town in Transilvania. Archaeological digs revealed proof that it was an inhabited place as early as the Paleolithic. We fast-forward through history to come to the time of the Hungarian colonization/occupation of Transilvania, when in 1214, it became part of … Continue reading The Armenian Catholic Church in Dumbraveni

An exhibition of Ligia’s traditional Romanian costumes

Today is the International Day of the Romanian Blouse, and it is also the first day of an exhibition of a part of Ligia's collection of traditional, authentic Romanian costumes (blouses, skirts and more). About twenty costumes are currently on display at the Museum of Natural Gas in Medias and can be seen there during … Continue reading An exhibition of Ligia’s traditional Romanian costumes