Today was the first time I saw and heard the Ferrari FXX. While I’m not wild about its looks, the sound of its engine is amazing. It floored me. It’s pure adrenaline. I’ve heard the sound of plenty of sports cars in my time, but I don’t know, there’s something that sets the FXX apart for me. Perhaps it’s just the way the sound was mastered for the videos, who knows, but it blows me away.
Here it is in a video where Michael Schumacher drives it around a race track with French football star Zinedine Zidane in the passenger seat.
And here it is being driven by Ferrari test driver Dario Benuzzi for a Top Gear show.
Only 30 of these monsters were made by Ferrari from 2005-2007, and it’s essentially a souped-up Ferrari Enzo with an 800 bhp engine. Here are the detailed specs:
- Engine: Longitudinal, rear-mounted, 75 degree, naturally-aspirated aluminium V12
- Valvetrain: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder with continuously variable timing
- Fuel system: Bosch Motronic ME7 Sequential Electronic Injection
- Horsepower Max: 800 hp (597 kW) at 8500 RPM
- Specific Output: 127.75 PS (93.96 kW; 126.00 hp) per litre
- Drive system: RWD w/TCS
- Construction: Carbon fibre body over carbon fibre tub with rear alloy subframe
- Front brakes: Brembo CCM (carbon-ceramic) discs w/6-piston calipers, power assist ABS
- Rear brakes: Brembo CCM (carbon-ceramic) discs w/4-piston calipers, power assist ABS
- Front wheels: 483 mm (19.0 in) x 229 mm (9.0 in)
- Rear wheels: 483 mm (19.0 in) x 330 mm (13 in)
- Steering: Rack and pinion with power assistance
- Suspension: triple wishbones with push-rod actuated coil-shock units, adaptive dampers, electronic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar
- Wheelbase: 2,650 mm (104 in)
- Front track: 1,660 mm (65 in)
- Rear track: 1,650 mm (65 in)
- Rear view is provided by a roof mounted video camera displayed on a small inboard screen.
- Top Speed: 217 mph (349 km/h)