The fortified church in Bazna

The village of Bazna ("Baaßen" in German and "Bázna" in Hungarian) is technically a commune comprised of three villages: Bazna, Boian and Velt. Settled by Saxons in the 13th century, the land was great not only for agriculture but also gave forth natural gas and springs of water containing salt and iodine. The fortified church … Continue reading The fortified church in Bazna

The fortified church in Sebes

This fortified church looked quite different when it was first built using the Romanesque style in the beginning of the 12th century AD. It was soon destroyed by the Tartar Invasion of 1241-1242. Afterward, the work progressed more slowly and in the Cistercian Gothic style which we see today. Parts of the older structure were … Continue reading The fortified church in Sebes

The fortified church in Moardas

There is a fortified church in the small village of Moardăș in Transilvania, also known as "Mardisch" in German and "Mardos" in Hungarian. A strange-sounding name in Romanian, Moardăș it seems has cuman origins and comes from the precursors of the Hungarians of today. The older name seems to have been Ardesch (as the Saxons … Continue reading The fortified church in Moardas

The fortified church in Bahnea

This historic church is a bit harder to find. Bahnea ("Bachnen" in German, "Bonyha" in Hungarian) is a small village off the main roads, which you can only reach by driving on narrower county roads. The church itself is also hard to spot even when you're in the village, because it's hidden away behind the … Continue reading The fortified church in Bahnea

The fortified church in Copsa Mare

The construction of the Saxon church in the village of Copsa Mare ("Gross-Kopisch" in German and "Nagykapus" in Hungarian) started in the 14th century and underwent transformations in order to further fortify it in 1510, 1519 and 1797. In 1800, the organ was installed. In 1854, the Gothic altar was replaced with a Baroque one. … Continue reading The fortified church in Copsa Mare

The fortified church in Richis

This church in the village of Richis ("Reichesdorf" in German and "Riomfalva" in Hungarian) was built sometime between 1350-1400 and it initially functioned as a Cistercian abbey. The abbey did not have a bell tower to begin with because the Cistercian order was not allowed to have them. In 1400, it became a Catholic church … Continue reading The fortified church in Richis

The fortified church in Saschiz

This kind of architectural structure which combines a regularly-used church with fortified walls is typical of the region of Transilvania, where Saxons built them as places of refuge against invading tartars and turks. While larger settlements (such as Medias) could afford to build fortified walls around the entire town, villages such as Saschiz built fortified … Continue reading The fortified church in Saschiz