I made a concerted effort to write consistently and with substance in 2007. Product reviews are one of the foundational pieces of my site. I enjoy doing them, and people seem to enjoy reading them. I thought I’d highlight the most important ones from 2007 below.
Camera reviews (in chronological order)
The thing to keep in mind about my camera reviews is that for all but one of the reviews marked “full”, I used those cameras as my primary cameras for at least a month. That means they went with me wherever I went, so my understanding of how they work in real-world conditions is more than can be gotten from a lab review.
- Sigma SD14 (in-depth but not hands-on)
- Exakta EXA Ia (full plus video)
- Olympus EVOLT E-500 (full)
- FujiFilm FinePix S9100 (full; I need to re-edit this review and make it more nuanced)
- Canon EOS 30D (full)
- Olympus Stylus 770 SW (preliminary review)
- Canon EOS 40D (preliminary)
- Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III (preliminary)
- Canon EOS 5D (preliminary)
- Nikon D3 and D300 (preliminary)
- Olympus EVOLT E-510 (full plus video)
- Olympus EVOLT E-3 (2nd part here, both only preliminary, but with video)
- Canon EOS Rebel XTi (full plus video)
- Kodak EasyShare v610 Dual Lens (full plus video)
Lens reviews (in chronological order)
I also started reviewing lenses in 2007. Since I had to rent them in order to do this, I couldn’t very well keep them for a whole month, like I did with my cameras, but I did my best to make sure I put them through most conditions you’d encounter outdoors.
- Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8-22 (inside Exakta EXA Ia review)
- Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 (inside EVOLT E-500 review)
- Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Zoom (full)
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Zoom (full)
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Zoom (full)
- Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Prime (preliminary)
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Zoom (full)
- A comparison of the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and EF 24-105mm f/4L zoom lenses (full)
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit Zoom (inside Rebel XTi video review)
- Schneider-Kreuznach 38-380mm equivalent f/3.5-4.8 Zoom (inside Kodak v610 review)
Hardware reviews (in chronological order)
I started doing hardware reviews as well, motivated by the problems I kept having with the products I had purchased. I wanted to tell people what to watch out for, and it looks like they appreciate hearing about it.
- Western Digital My Book World Edition II (full)
- Western Digital My Book Pro Edition II (full; see second part here)
- Dell OptiPlex 745 Desktop (full)
- LaCie 500 GB external USB drive (full)
- Drobo (full plus video)
These were just a few of the articles I wrote during 2007. To browse through all of the posts from that year, use the Archives. Don’t forget to subscribe to my feed so you can find out about all of my new posts in 2008.